PR- Learn it, Live it, Love it!!

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

What have I learnt about PR?

First of all, I am very sorry for leaving it so long to finish of my placement diary. The last time I updated it was on the third day of the placement which was the 20th December! But it was Christmas so I think I can get away with it.

The fourth and fifth days of my placement were much the same as the rest. Except on The fourth day, I was allowed to accompany the agency's MD and the DOT Account Manager to two meetings. One was a meeting to discuss upcoming campaigns for 2007 and the other was a brainstorming session for one campaign in particular.

It was definitely very useful to attend these meetings as I learnt lot about the process of developing campaigns, how to generate ideas and how to control meetings and direct them to work in your favor.

There were a few surprises to me throughout my placement. PR is generally what I expected however, there are some things that are very different to what we are told in our lectures.

Whether this is something that happens in a lot of agencies I'm not sure,but in IOM Advertising & PR Limited, a lot of their clients are continuing and therefore pitching is a rarity. Obviously, the agency has to lease with their clients on a regular basis and work with them very closely but I found that they rely on their clients as much as their clients rely on them.

Communication with a client is much more two way then I thought. Clients tend to have someone who deals with PR in some way as a contact for the agency, they therefore have more knowledge of the industry than I thought they would.

Although I knew there was a great deal of research reuqired to develop a campaign, I was suprised by the main source the agency used. Instead of internet, books, periodicals, newspapers etc. The agency used their client as their primary source of information. For example, talking to clients about their past campaigns, what has worked, what hasn't etc. This is something I would usually find from the internet but why? Surely it is better to talk to someone with first hand knowledge specific to that organisation. This is something we wouldn't get the chance to do when creating a hyperthetical campaign for a University project but is an extremely useful tool when you can use it!

As well as this, I was surprised just how much PR and Advertising overlap and how well they work together. Aspects of advertising and PR are great when used separately but when combined they work so much better. Things that you say about your organisation being backed up by what others say about you. When an agency deals with both of these elements, they can ensure that what is said in both of these areas are the same, this is great for credibility as there are no contradictions.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time at the agency and would like to thank everyone fore being so accommodating. I have come away from the experience with a much greater understanding of what the job is really like. I now plan to do more placements in other areas such as inhouse, in the public sector and charities. I look forward to all these experiences as I think working in all these areas will give me direction in what area I would like to work in as well as giving me invaluable experience that you cannot gain in a class room. No offense to any of my lecturers! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home