PR- Learn it, Live it, Love it!!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Welcome to my gleaming new blog!

Wow, it's been quite a journey getting here!

For those of you who don't know, creating a fabulous blog is a project for one of my second year modules. Thinking I would have lots to say about it, I started a blog about the University of Sunderland's dance society. Although it's fun to go to and and has lots of lovely members it was impossible to find interesting things to say!

Realising I wasn't going anywhere with the dance thing and becoming increasingly confused about what I could actually write about,

I turned to my tutor Philip Young in desperation. We (or should I say he!) thought it would be a good idea to write about PR work placements, because I will doing one in the first week of the christmas holidays.

I thought it was a great idea for a couple of posts (well done Phil!) but i have so much to say about all aspects of my course this year, that i have decided to be a bit more general.

Anyway, after we (Phil) decided that I should write about work placements, Phil then proceeded to drag me into his seminar with a group of big, scary third years and make me ask them about their experiences with work placements, and I have to say, I'm really glad he did!

As well as hearing some slightly amusing stories about people picking up novelty cheques at the bank and having to carry them through The Bridges and spending half an hour boiling the kettle to make lots of cups of tea, without realising there was a water boiler for that kind of thing, I feel altogether more prepared for more work placement.

All the students found their placements useful in some way, even if just to prove to them they didn't want to work in PR! Some even got jobs out of them! I have been told to make sure i ask for work and let them know I want to be involved right from the off. Not sure about this one, but apparantly if i "kiss lots of ass" i'll go far?!

I was also excited to learn that PR is actually exciting in practice!! Finally a chance to get stuck in! Apparantly it is best to work in a small team too?

Anyway, that's it for my first post, think I've said enough! Anyone who has any advice about how to get the best out of work placements, please let me know! I'd love to hear some comments about that kissing ass statement too.

Away you go...

4 Comments:

  • hey there!

    cant believe that tutor dragged u into a 3rd year class! how embarrassin! was there any totty lol good job ya lookd hot hehe

    alicio
    x

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:28 PM  

  • Hey Charlie! Good luck with the new blog hopefully you will find a lot more to write about now. (perhaps you could give me some tips!)x

    By Blogger Erin, at 12:19 PM  

  • I would recommend making a brief list of what you would like to accomplish from a work placement before you go into the interview.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:41 AM  

  • Thanks for the advice Richard but I don't have an interview. Its just a week plcement, possibly two and it's assessed for my course at uni.

    By Blogger Charlie, at 1:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home